Friday, February 24, 2012

Ear Infections

Well, since my last post, LG has had her 3rd ear infection in a row. Poor little kid. This last time, the daycare called me to say she had just woken from her nap with a fever of 101 and I had to go get her. I picked her up and promptly drove straight to the walk-in clinic. She was given a new stronger kind of anti-biotics and we went home to wait for the baby tylenol to start to kick in.

It's been a little over a week and a half since then and the ear infection has cleared up. So far there are no signs of another one coming in. Thank goodness!

Since we were dealing with ear infection #3, I called my family dr to let her know what had been going on. She informed me that there is a link between soother use and recurrent infections. They (the medical establishment) don't know exactly why there is a link, but the research shows a link. So, we quit the soother cold turkey that day. It took a couple of days, but LG is now going to sleep without her soother without a fuss. LG only got the soother at nap time and bedtime so she wasn't a full on soother addict like some kids out there. I'm sure that's why it was a pretty quick transition to sleeping soother free.

It is scary when your kid is sick. When the fever keeps spiking and you've already given all the meds that the she can take and you just have to wait for it to kick in. You feel scared and helpless. I hate that feeling. I know that with her in daycare it is inevitable that she will end up sick, but I hope she gets a break for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the cold turkey for the soother! Hopefully this will do the trick and prevent any more ear infections.
    Good luck with this new blog,
    greetings...
    V

    ReplyDelete